Want to contribute to Rib Magazine?
We're thrilled you're interested in working with Rib to bring the best content, patterns and conversations about knitting for men to our readers.
For Rib’s third issue, the theme is Alchemy, the philosophy and pseudo-science aimed at purifying, perfecting and transmuting materials from one state to another. For this issue, we’re seeking transformative designs and articles to inspire and stretch the imagination, grounded in the past and reaching into the future. From geometric forms and intriguing shapes to enigmatic articles to inspire our readers.
We invite you to take a look at our Pinterest board for some inspiration and guidance for what's sure to be an outstanding third issue!
Submissions for Issue #3: ALCHEMY will be accepted until March 1, 2017 with decisions rendered by the middle of March.
How we work
We compensate designers with a one time payment commensurate with the complexity of the work for 6 month exclusive use of the pattern after which time full rights to the pattern revert to the designer. Payment is made at time of publication of the issue in which the pattern or article appears. All content and patterns must never have been produced, published or presented in any form including print, online or any other medium to be considered. If your design is selected for publication you will be provided with yarn support and full pattern style guide and written template - not to mention supported with gorgeous photography and presentation.
What are you looking for?
For designs, we are looking for garments, accessories, household items, technology items - you name it! Make it interesting, make it bold, make it masculine - but make it you. For content we are looking for articles that would appeal to a male knitter, or those who knit for them - consider lifestyle, travel, food and beverage; anything with a knitting or fiber spin that brings a unique or different perspective.
Most importantly, we seek to support new and emerging designs with a platform to express their creativity - alongside more established designers. Even if you've never had a pattern published, please do consider submitting - we're excited to be a new voice for designers in our community.
How do you decide on what to publish?
We base our decisions on things we would like to knit ourselves, fit the theme of the issue and have a timeless, masculine quality to them. Articles that have a specific point of view, offer something new and different and challenge the conventional notions of male knitters are likewise interesting to us.
How do I make my submission?
For this issue we are accepting email submissions only sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions which are incomplete may prevent us from considering your work, please ensure that a full submission application is included.
Please include the following in your submission:
- Full Name
- Email Address
- Telephone (daytime and evening)
- Ravelry Username - and if applicable, links to your most successful patterns (not applicable for articles).
- Type of Project/Article
- 250 word or less summary of the project including the inspiration for the project
- Type of yarn suggested
- Details on type of project, skill level, stitch patterns, construction, and finishing techniques
- Please include a sketch of your project (a clear photo is fine) along with a photograph of any swatches
- If submitting an article for consideration, please do not send a completed article. A short proposal for the type of article and your understanding of why it would be interesting to men who knit and those who knit for them is appreciated. Please do submit links or copies of published work so we can get a sense of your style.